Hillary is fully trained and certified in Constitutional Facial Acupuncture™, a protocol developed by Mary Elizabeth Wakefield, L.Ac. and practiced around the globe for decades. It is a safe, relatively painless and effective treatment for renewing the face as well as the whole body. Fine lines may be entirely erased, deeper lines reduced and bags around neck and eyes firmed.
Extremely fine needles are placed at a variety of acupuncture points on the face, neck and around the eyes to stimulate the body’s natural energies, or Qi. Since muscle groups are addressed as well the acupuncture points, the face lifts itself, via the acupuncture points, through the muscles’ toning and tightening action. The needles also stimulate blood and circulation, which improves facial color.
- Improves acne (caused by hormonal imbalance)
- Helps menopause, perimenopause, PMS and other GYN issues
- Helps sinus congestion and headache
- Improves hyper- and hypothyroidism
- Reduces symptoms of toothache, TMJ, trigeminal neuralgia, and Bell’s palsy
- Helps headaches (except severe migraine)
- Treats diarrhea and constipation (most digestive issues)
- Helps to eliminate edema and puffiness
- Benefits eyes, ears and brain
- Can help insomnia and dizziness
- Helps depression and aids self-esteem
- Can improve collagen production and muscle tone
- Helps reduce bags and sagging tendencies
- Helps eliminate fine lines and diminish larger wrinkles
- Helps reduce double chin and lift drooping eyelids
- Improves metabolism
- Tightens pores and brightens eyes
- Increases local blood and lymph circulation
- Improves facial color
- Reduces stress and promotes total health and well-being
Is Facial Acupuncture for Everyone?
It would probably be helpful to list the few contraindications for facial acupuncture because, for most, it is a safe and beneficial treatment.d
- Severe high blood pressure (it is OK when the blood pressure is under control and the patient is seeing a medical doctor)
- Severe migraines (if the patient is having a migraine only once every 3 months or so, they can receive facial acupuncture treatments)
- Be aware that it takes a patient 3 weeks to recover from laser resurfacing on the face. Do not needle during that time; wait a week after microdermabrasion.
This treatment series cannot be performed during pregnancy, if patient has a cold or flu, acute herpes outbreak, or is experiencing an acute allergic reaction.
How Long is a Treatment Series?
Constitutional Facial Acupuncture™ involves the patient in an organic process, in which a series of treatments is necessary to achieve maximal effect. After an initial session, the practitioner evaluates the patient’s response and then can determine the number of follow-up visits that will be required. Hillary generally recommends a series of 12 visits, although she offers a 6 visit package as well. In certain instances, up to 20 visits or more may be required, particularly for those who are smokers, or those with severely sagging skin.
Ideally, the patient comes 2 times a week for 60 to 75 minutes. Once weekly treatments are also possible. To ensure the persistence of the results, ongoing maintenance treatments are recommended every 1 to 2 months following the completion of a treatment series.
The Use of Chinese Herbs and Other Modalities
The Constitutional Facial Acupuncture™ treatment protocol incorporates Chinese herbal masks, poultices and moisturizers. Jade rollers, which enhance blood circulation, remove fine lines and age spots, and prevent premature aging, are used to massage moisturizer into the skin.
Short and Long-Term Benefits of Facial Acupuncture
After the first treatment, one usually observes an increased glow to the complexion, the result of increased Qi and blood flow to the face. The person’s face appears more “open”, there is a clarity in the eyes (“clear Shen”), and the patient appears to be more rested; wrinkles start to lessen and the skin appears more toned.
A significant difference in their appearance occurs after the 5th to 7th treatments; even more marked changes in wrinkles, skin tone, etc. The impression of relaxation and calm is more pronounced; they appear as if you have just returned from vacation. Lifting of the jowls, neck and the eyes has begun and is usually noticeable. With continuing treatment, constitutional issues like digestive complaints have been ameliorated or subsided.
By the end of a series, the patient should look and feel 5-15 years younger. These results may vary slightly, depending upon how well the patient has taken care of themselves during the process, and afterward. At this stage, maintenance treatments provide ongoing support within a normal process of aging.
Constitutional Facial Acupuncture™ is non-invasive, less costly than surgical procedures, and draws upon the ancient Chinese wisdom related to longevity, beauty and balance.
Used with the permission of Mary Elizabeth Wakefield at www.facialacupuncture-wakefieldtechnique.com